Saturday, April 18, 2009

Paris Day 5 and 6, 1 Day of rest in Copenhagen

Wednesday April 1

I got up and did my thing at the hostel, then met Heather after her class at the Catholic Institute. We bought sandwiches from a boulangerie before we headed out to spend the day at Versailles. Luckily our IDs got us in for free there as well, or that would have been 20 euros we were both out. Versailles is ridiculous. Every room is insane. And we just couldn’t believe that hundreds of people actually lived there at one time. We took our time walking through all the various chambers, including the Hall of Mirrors, and then went out to the gardens to find a spot to settle down and eat our sandwiches (rather late at this point, near 3). Oh you know, we were just chilling in the gardens of Versailles eating our lunch. Nothing special. !!! We took some toolish pictures and basked in the sun (seriously, the weather was beautiful the entire time I was there), and then went to get the train back to Paris. We didn’t realize until we were on the train back looking at our maps of Versailles that the garden extend so much farther than we knew. And it was a good thing we didn’t realize it, or we would have felt obligated to explore and we were tired. I nodded off a bit on the train.

We had dinner at a little café right across from the hostel, then went to meet up with people at the Smile for drinks. We stayed there for a couple of hours, then went and had some dessert (nutella) crepes, and went our separate ways for the evening.

Thursday April 2

I checked out of the hostel but left my large suitcase in the luggage room. We met up to try to go to the student cafeteria again, but they were checking IDs, so we bought sandwiches and ate them in the Luxembourg Gardens, which the Senate building is also on.

Then we walked quickly through Le Bon Marche and Le Grande Epicerie before running some errands. Heather bought some eyeliner, we picked up my computer and things from her home, went somewhere to print out my flight confirmation, picked up my luggage at the hostel, bought another bag of Surf Fizz (for me, as I’ve opened one and ate a bunch of them), and then went on a ridiculous trek to a Metro station. We bought my Orlybus ticket and found a café near the bus station to get something to drink and, as it turned out, ice cream. I got vanilla and a coke and it was glorious. Then we said our goodbyes (but not for long as Heather is coming to Copenhagen in a few weeks!), and I got on the Orlybus. It was a lot shorter than either of us knew, so I waited for check-in, then did all the security and more waiting, and it was midnight by the time I got my luggage and all at the Copenhagen airport. I decided to suck it up and pay for a cab, but I had to withdraw more kroner to do so. It was probably the best choice I made though, otherwise I would have had to take a train, then the bus, then walk a couple blocks. So I was home by about 12:30am, and in bed by 1 or so.

Friday April 3

I got up at 10, awake naturally as I had forgotten to turn on my alarm. My host mother was actually home, as her brother-in-law had come to help her take some measurements in the kitchen, she’s getting ready to redo it in the summer probably. But she went back to work shortly, and I popped in the first load of laundry. I basically spent the whole time this day when I wasn’t hanging laundry or taking a shower catching up on the TV shows I watch. So it was a nice relaxing day. And the weather was also beautiful in Copenhagen so I was able to hang my things outside. Packed up most of my things. Had my own pasta dinner as my host mother came home from work and then went to IKEA with a friend. Went to bed in preparation for an early morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment